Turning Back the Pages

• Bookmarks: 84

4thJuly_CentralCity_1893_OldImagesDenver30 years ago – July 11, 1986

Judy Dornbrock was sworn in Tuesday as Gilpin County’s new clerk and recorder. Gilpin County Court Judge Andrew J. Krodshen performed the swearing in ceremony at the courthouse. Due to Judy Smith’s resignation as clerk and recorder, Dornbrock, a Democrat, was appointed by the county commissioners to fill the unexpired term of office. The term ends in January. Smith, a Republican, resigned after six years as county clerk. She had worked in the office since 1974. She said she left in order to spend more time at home. Monday was Smith’s last day. She was honored with a plaque and a luncheon at the courthouse. Dornbrock is running unopposed for the clerk’s position in the August Democratic primary election. In November, however, she will have to face Republican Sharon Johnson and, if he gets his petition in, independent Dan Monroe in the general election. Dornbrock is no stranger to the clerk’s office, having worked there as a deputy since 1980.

Are you already yearning for some of that good old Colorado snow? Well, you don’t have to look far. There’s some right in your own back yard, and this week the Gilpin County road department was plowing it off the road to Rollins Pass. Although last winter was mild, the amount of snow still left in the high country is impressive. One drift across the road was 25 feet high. Monday and Tuesday Tim Logan and Kenn Fader opened the road as far as the Needle’s Eye Tunnel. The tunnel has been closed for years because it is caving in, but there may be work done on it later this year. County Commissioner Leslie Williams says that Boulder County and a citizen’s group have raised about $80,000 for restoration of the tunnel. Now, it is up to the Forest Service to okay the project. About this time each year, Gilpin County opens up Rollins Pass. Much of the road is in Boulder County. In return, Boulder County maintains Gilpin County roads in the Wondervu area all year long.

A Nederland woman escaped serious injury last Saturday after falling 800 feet down an icy mountain. Undersheriff David Martinez was dispatched to the Rollins Pass area regarding an injured hiker. Emergency medical technician Dennis White and several members of Gilpin County Search and Rescue also responded. The rescue party, according to Martinez, was only able to drive to Yankee Doodle Lake. The injured hiker was an estimated one and a half miles from Rollins Pass. Initially, Flight for Life was not requested due to heavy rain, lightning, and fog. The search and rescue party was lead to the location by another hiker that had been with the injured person earlier. According to the report, Debbie Welter, 31, of Nederland was hiking with a group of people at about the 11,400 foot elevation. The group decided to try to slide down an icy embankment that was several hundred feet long. Martinez reported that Welter lost her footing and tumbled about 800 feet before colliding with several large rocks. After the weather began to break, Flight for Life was requested due to the difficult circumstances in getting Welter out of the area. Flight for Life landed within 30 feet of Welter and she was flown to St. Anthony’s Hospital in Denver. Welter had several broken ribs and was to be released from the hospital this week.

60 years ago – July 13, 1956

Black Hawk News:

After spending eleven days in a hospital, due to a heart attack, Mrs. Geraldine Klein returned home on Saturday. She is better, but will need much rest for a while.

Last Saturday visitors at the home of Sheriff and Mrs. Kenneth McKenzie were Mr. and Mrs. George Nelson and Mr. and Mrs. Jake Peppler of Longmont. Also Miss Julia Jacobs of Germany who is in this country for the first time. She is a sister of Ted Jacobs, of Denver, and an aunt of Mildred Blake and Martha Steen.

Mr. Willard Bishop was in town last Friday. Many will remember him when he lived on the Goebel Ranch west of Central City and sold fresh milk in the community.

Central City News:

Mrs. Margaret Brookhart and daughter, of Colorado Springs were visiting her aunt, Mrs. Yetta Demeter, and Miss Lulu Davidson on Tuesday.

Bill Havens, brother of “Doc” Havens, formerly of this city, but now a resident of Golden, where he is still one of the most efficient as a tonsorial artist, is most pleased with his visit from Japan, where he is teaching in the Nagoya High School. Bill expects to remain in the States until August when he will return to the Land of Nippon and will be athletic coach and language teacher in the above mentioned high school.

REWARD: I will personally pay Twenty Five Dollars for accurate information given me as to the person or persons who deliberately ripped off the plaque in front of the Masonic Temple during the last weekend. Signed, R.L. Laird.

90 years ago – July 16, 1926

Sheriff Oscar Williams, in connection with Mr. Calloway, one of the officers under the direction of John Vivian, of the state prohibition forces, arrested O.M. Davis, of Douglas, Wyoming, John Ross, of Denver, and John Traine, of Lafayette, Colorado, at 5 o’clock Monday morning, on top of Walling’s Hill, charged with operating a still, and landed them in the county jail. The officers found two stills, but not in active operation, of a capacity of 250 gallons, with 100 gallons of whiskey and 50 barrels of mash, which were seized and the latter destroyed, and later on the stills were brought to Central. The men had their plant in the open, covered only with pieces of tin, which was located on the forest reserve, on top of Walling Hill, far away from any road, and the operators were compelled to carry their supplies up the mountain sides on the back of mules. The men are held here in the county jail pending the filing of state and federal charges.

Advertisement: Help! Help! The Central City baseball team is desirous of obtaining baseball suits, and are shy about $30 with which to purchase them. If you have not already subscribed any money to the boys or to the baseball ground, and if you have, couldn’t you subscribe more to make purchase of these uniforms possible? The game of ball scheduled for last Sunday between Central and Russell Gulch was postponed on account of rain, and will be played this Sunday afternoon on the Russell grounds.

How to Make Fish Chowder: Cut up any kind of well-cleaned fish and parboil until nearly cooked. In a deep chowder kettle place a fourth of a pound of salt pork cut into fine cubes, cook until crisp and brown. Add three to six sliced onions, cook five minutes, then add half a dozen sliced potatoes. Cover with boiling water and cook until the vegetables are done, add the fish and cook a few minutes toward the last of the cooking. Add a quart of rich milk, some crackers soaked in boiling milk (the large milk crackers are best), serving one for each bowl of chowder.

Died: In Russell Gulch, July 12th, 1926, Frank Dalapiccola, aged 37 years. Deceased had been a resident of Russell Gulch for many years, following mining as a vocation. He was a single man, and is survived by a brother in Russell Gulch, and a sister, Mrs. Swaldi, of Denver. Funeral services were held at the Catholic Church, Central, Wednesday morning at 9:30 o’clock, interment in the Catholic Cemetery.

Died: In Central City, July 13th, 1926, Patrick Murphy, aged 79 years, 7 months, and 16 days. Deceased came to Gilpin County some fifty years ago, and located in Nevadaville, residing there until a few years ago, when he moved to this city. He followed mining as a profession, and filled many positions on the mines of that section as hoisting engineer, and was well known and highly esteemed by all who knew him. Since the death of his wife, and unable to do manual labor, his nephew, John B. Doran, has had full care of him, and left nothing undone to make his passing years as pleasant and comfortable as possible. Funeral services were held at the Catholic Church Thursday morning at 9:30 o’clock, interment in the Catholic Cemetery by the side of his wife.

Died: In Russell Gulch, July 11th, 1926, the result of a hemorrhage, Harry Stevens, aged 55 years. Mr. Stevens had been a resident of Russell Gulch for many years, and worked in the mines the greater portion of that time, and in the end, contracted miner’s consumption, which was one of the causes of his death. He is survived by a brother in Telluride, Colorado, and a sister in Canada. Funeral services were held Thursday afternoon at 2:30 o’clock, interment in the Russell Gulch Cemetery.

120 years ago – July 10, 1896

Charles Trenoweth was shot last Saturday shortly after noon, while he was locking his store door. The bullet entered the rear part of the thigh, went directly through the leg and entered the scrotum. Mr. Trenoweth thought at first he was struck by a large fire cracker, but soon discovered he was shot, as he could feel the blood trickling from the wound. After resting for a few minutes in the store, he went home as best he could, and medical aid was summoned. Doctors Ashbaugh and Bonesteel came, and succeeded in extracting the bullet. Mr. Trenoweth could give no explanation as to where the bullet was shot from, but from the direction in which it traveled through the leg, it was concluded that it must have been fired from a point higher than the street. The bullet is a rifle ball, and about 32-caliber size. After a little circumstantial evidence had been picked up here and there, it was though that the accidental shot had been fired from the windows directly opposite the store, as the supposition was that two young men who were seen carrying a rifle through the streets had gone up into these rooms and that in some accidental manner the shot had been fired. However, these parties claim that they were not uptown until about 2 o’clock, and furthermore were not in the rooms above mentioned, and it seems that they were not in any way connected with the affair. From latest reports, Mr. Trenoweth is able to be up, is resting comfortably, and is now considered out of danger.

John Best returned on Monday, having spent the glorious Fourth in Denver.

Harry Sears came up from Denver Sunday evening, where he has been for several weeks past, in the hope that a change would prove beneficial, as he has been troubled of late with rheumatism.

Frank Mayhew of Nevadaville left on Friday afternoon for a visit to Nebraska.

Will Lamont, John Morgan, and Ed Hatch were a jolly lot of fishermen who returned on Sunday evening from Ranch Creek, where they had been since Friday noon. They brought home five basketfuls of fish, the number being in excess of 150. And this is no fish story, is it boys?

Married: At the residence of the bride’s brother in Chase Gulch, Black Hawk, July 6th, 1896, Rev. F.T. Krueger officiating, Frank H. Owen of Central City to Miss Olga Meyer of Black Hawk. The newly married couple left on the afternoon train for Denver, where they will spend the honeymoon, after which they will go to Aspen, where Mr. Owen has been offered a position. The Register-Call extends congratulations to the young couple and hopes that their new sphere of life may be a happy one.

Died: In Black Hawk, July 7th, 1896, Laura, the eldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Jacobson, aged 9 years and 6 months. The funeral was from the parents’ residence on Dubois Street, and was attended by a large company of friends. This is the second child Mr. and Mrs. Jacobson have lost to diphtheria in about two weeks. They have the deepest sympathy of every person in Black Hawk in this their hour of trial.

Died: In Nevadaville, July 9th, 1896, the infant child of Harry Trezise, aged 8 months.

Died: In Nevadaville, July 10th, 1896, Ben Waters, aged 38 years.

Died: In Nevadaville, July 9th, 1896, James Angwin, aged 41 years. The funeral will take place Sunday afternoon at 2 o’clock.

Died: In Central City, this Friday morning, July 10th, 1896, Sarah, wife of William Tuttle. Mr. Tuttle is the bookkeeper of the Gold Coin Mines Company, of Nevadaville, and has been in the city for some time. About three months ago, Mrs. Tuttle and little girl came out from their home at Bunker Hill, Illinois, and had taken the residence of John Odgers on Second High Street. A week ago Mrs. Tuttle and the little girl were taken with scarlet fever and up to Wednesday were getting along nicely, when an access formed at the base of the brain, the result of the fever, and she suffered intensely. Yesterday Dr. Ashbaugh and Dr. Bonesteel succeeded in relieving her somewhat, and she seemed to rest much easier. Last night about 12 o’clock, when the doctors visited the residence, they found her unconscious from the pressure on the brain, and an hour later she was a corpse. From her short residence in this city, Mrs. Tuttle had made a host of friends, who will be deeply shocked when they read this announcement of her death, and the sympathy of the entire community is extended Mr. Tuttle in his sudden bereavement. The body will be encased in a metallic casket and taken to Bunker Hill on this afternoon’s train. The little girl is getting along nicely and at present no danger is apprehended.

Warning: json_decode() expects parameter 1 to be string, object given in /home/customer/www/ on line 66
8 recommended
bookmark icon

Write a comment...