Turning Back the Pages

• Bookmarks: 1115

30 years ago – August 12, 1988

Republican Cathy Smith is the winner in the primary race for Gilpin County Commissioner in District 3, defeating Republican candidate Jerry Ward by 119 votes to 103 votes for Ward. Of Gilpin County’s 2,349 eligible registered voters, 348 total votes were cast, or roughly 15 percent of those eligible to vote.Of the 348 voters, there were 118 Democrats and 230 Republicans at the polls. Only a minority of electors turned out to vote on Tuesday in the Primary Election One possible reason for the low number of voters could be the slim number of candidates having opposition in the race. In District 1 for the Gilpin County Commissioner seat, Democratic incumbent Leslie Williams, running unopposed in the primary election, received 79 total votes. Republican candidate Herb Bowles in District 1, vying for the commissioner’s seat, also running unopposed in the primary, received the largest number of votes of any candidate running for office. A total of 143 votes were cast for Bowles. Ann Leffingwell, commissioner candidate in District 3, received 86 total votes. She was also unopposed in the primary.

The wrongful death civil action suit, filed by Randall Hayes against Richard Allen, relating to the death of Daren Hayes was settled out of court late Monday afternoon. A jury trial regarding the civil suit was scheduled to begin Tuesday morning if a settlement had not been reached. The suit brought against Allen was filed by Randall Hayes, the plaintiff, a resident of Gilpin County, to seek relief in the death of his 16 year old son, Daren, who was involved in a one car accident on August 23, 1986. Daren was employed as a tour guide at the Lost Gold Mine in Central City, operated by Allen. On the night of the accident, Allen allegedly served beer to Daren. One of the terms of the settlement is that the settlement agreement not be disclosed.

Cars parked at the Central City Post Office parking lot for purposes other than post office business may be ticketed or towed, according to Marshal Elmo Gatlin. The action is being taken at the request of Central City Postmaster Charlotte Keim. Although “Howdy Pardner” tickets have been issued to violators of the parking restriction in effect at the post office lot, Gatling said that he has been asked by Keim to begin issuing standard citations. Thirty minute parking is permitted to postal patrons who are conducting transactions at the federal facility. Citations may be issued at any time of the day or night, and on any day of the week, including weekends, whether the post office counter is open or not, Gatling said. Contacted on Tuesday, Keim explained that she has received “major complaints” from postal customers who have been unable to get into the parking lot on weekends in order to collect the mail.

The continuing trash problem on East Third High Street in Central City was brought up before council at its August 3 meeting. Cindy Hidahl, who lives near the offending addresses, asked council to take formal action against the owner of at least one of the properties she has complained about in the past. Although the council had sent a “neighborly” letter to both property owners whose properties are in violation of city ordinances asking them to clean up the trash. Hidahl said that only one has performed any cleanup work. A notice will be sent, stating a time limit for cleanup, with advisement that legal action will be taken if the alleged mess is not eliminated.

60 years ago – August 15, 1958

Across the Crossroads, by A.F. Mayham: Some grumbling was heard at a recent mining meeting regarding an article authored by one Reynolds Morse of Cleveland, Ohio, published in the summer issue of the Colorado Quarterly and copied by a Denver paper. The article contained some not exactly defamatory statements about Colorado mines, but knocked the industry that put the state on the map in days gone by. As a matter of fact, the hills have only been scratched and, like the ocean, there are many good fish left as were ever taken out. The old dumps of mines contain valuable ores which in the old days were discarded as worthless, but science and modern uses have proved that new uses have been discovered and that the mines consist of metals in the rare earth class and the diggings are probably worth more today than they were 40 years ago. Every twice in a while some fellow will spend a couple of weeks around the state and in that time will know more about ores than the people who were brought up with the stuff and have prospected a lot of territory, but don’t have the finances to bring the diggings to a profitable manipulation. Such foolish ejaculations as emitted for a publicity stunt by would-be headline seekers only show up to the initiated what a little ignorance can do, but then minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemns everything which is beyond their range.

Central City Nuggets:

Edmund Scheffler and wife, of Denver, were in town last Sunday afternoon greeting old friends and visiting places of years ago. Bud was born in Central City and spent his early years here. He reports that his father, Otto, is in excellent health and enjoying life to the fullest, although 85 years of age.

Mrs. Berdina Burke, of Boston, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. George McLaughlin, after a two week visit, left Saturday for her home in the east. She expected to remain for several weeks more, but the raucous noise from across the street made her hurry her departure

Frank W. Wasson of Denver, in a hurry to get home Sunday night, rammed his car astride the fire plug behind the Grade School, breaking the connection and allowing the water to flood the school ground below. Water Commissioner Joe Menegatti was called, and made temporary repairs, and the following morning, it was necessary to uncover the cut off behind the Masonic Hall in order to make permanent repairs. At a hearing before Police Judge Lee Lyttle, Wednesday evening, Wasson was fined for careless driving and destroying city property, the full amount being $72.71.

Black Hawk Gold Dust:

Mr. Wm. Floyd, employee of the State Highway, will spend his weeks’ vacation in the hay mines at Skates’ Ranch near Pine Cliff.

A weekend visitor at the home of Mrs. Luella Fritz was a cousin, Miss Jennie Mechlin of Denver.

Tuesday afternoon, City Marshal Mike McNulty was severely bitten on the arm by a dog, and was taken to a doctor by a State Patrolman.

Mrs. Marla Kennish was hostess at a delicious ham dinner in her home Tuesday evening at which twenty three members of the Navy Mothers Club attended.

Mrs. Earl Snodgrass has been up from Denver the past week at her home on Richmond St.

Mr. Sam Redman is enjoying a visit with his son Ray Reman and wife, and son Robert, from Miami Beach, Florida. They will remain a week.

Among the graduates of Western State College Aug. 1 was the name of James V. Collins, son of Rom Collins. Jamie received a Bachelor of Arts degree, with a Teachers’ Life Certificate. Congratulations!

90 years ago – August 17, 1928

George Morgan and wife motored up from the valley Monday, on a short visit with his brother, Evan and wife, returning during the afternoon, accompanied by his sister Miss Sarah, of Sterling, Colorado, who had been visiting here for a few days.

Mrs. Louise Welch left for Denver Sunday and Monday, accompanied by her son Jack, and Thomas Stribley, left for Great Falls, Montana, on a couple of weeks visit with Mr. and Mrs. Willis Wolfe. During her absence, Mr. B.E. Seymour will fill her position at the Vincent Grocery establishment.

Frank Freeman, wife and son, motored up from Denver Sunday on a visit at the old home. The two latter returned Monday and the former extended up from Denver Sunday on a visit. The Freeman family lived in the residence opposite the court house, and back of Lehnkul’s Brewery on Eureka Street, and left here for Denver some 40 years ago. Mr. Freeman was one of the carriers of the Daily Register to Black Hawk in 1876 and later years.

How to Make Caramel Junket by Nellie Maxwell: Heat two cupful’s of milk until lukewarm. Caramelize one third of a cupful of sugar, add one third of a cupful of boiling water, and cool until the syrup is reduced to one third of a cupful. Add the milk slowly to the syrup, add one junket tablet crushed and dissolved in one tablespoonful of cold water, add a few grains of salt and one teaspoonful of vanilla. Turn into a dish and set in a warm place until thick, then put on ice to chill. Service with whipped cream or freshly grated coconut or other chopped nuts.

The Seven Ages of Women: Women have their seven ages – when they won’t marry anyone, when they won’t marry anyone except a rich man, when they won’t even marry a rich man unless they can have a career, when they may marry someday, when they’ll marry anyone, when they actually do marry, and when they say they wouldn’t have married except for his insisting.

Died: Dr. William E. Edmundson, aged 87 years, a pioneer Colorado resident and Civil War veteran, died in Denver Sunday at the home of his son, Dr. William L. Edmundson. He served in the Civil War, and came to Colorado in 1868, locating in this city, where he practiced his profession until 1880, when he moved to Denver and continued his practice until 1916, when his health began to fail. The Edmundson block, on Lawrence Street, from the Golden Rule store to the hardware store, was built by him as an investment, and still retains his name He is survived by his widow and son, and a brother James J. Edmundson, of Des Moines, Iowa.

120 years ago – August 19, 189

At a boxing match held at Idaho Springs on Saturday evening between Bob Watkins and Jack Rewark, the latter was given a knockout blow in the seventh round which resulted in his death Sunday evening. The doctor who made an examination said that Newark’s skull was fractured as the result of the last blow. Rewark’s real name was O’Rourke, and he had a mother and sister residing in Denver. Watkins was arrested and was confined in the county jail at Georgetown, held on the charge of manslaughter.

Miss Rachel Bovier, a music teacher of Denver, and the Misses Alice and Olive Barton, Robert Cundy, Harry Mehrlich and H.G. Thurman, of Black Hawk, and Thomas Andrews, of Grand Encampment, Wyoming, formed a party who went down the incline shaft on the Gregory Mine at Black Hawk on Friday morning, and also took in the Bobtail Tunnel that evening, enjoying their experiences greatly.

Miss Mary Brannigan, who has been visiting relatives and friends in Denver, returned home on Wednesday afternoon.

Forrest A. Godley of Apex, one of the best known mine operators in that camp, who went with the gallant 7th Colorado Regiment to Cuba, was reported among the victims of yellow fever, and was the first one to lose his life of the large number of Gilpin County who volunteered their services to Uncle Sam.

Mr. L.S. Roy, who is leasing the East Nottaway Mine in Lake District, made a number of shipments of smelting ore from that property to the sampling works in Black Hawk, all carrying good values, as will be seen from the following returns: July 2, 5100 pounds, $129.70 per ton; July 30, 5740 pounds, $245.95 per ton; August 6, 1150 pounds, $310 per ton; on same date, 1600 pounds, $123.68 per ton. The above shipments, besides a number of lots of second class ore were taken out by four men in driving drifts for less than one and one half months work. The ore in the 245-foot level was settled for at 16.70 ounces gold to the ton at a depth of only 110 feet from the surface.

A strike of free gold has been made in the lower workings of the Gregory Mine, and mill ore coming from that particular point is returning 8 ounces gold to the cord. The free gold streak is being taken down carefully, and shows values of thousands of dollars to the ton, and assays could be had of some of the pieces that would give higher than 1,000 ounces gold to the ton.

Born: In Central City, August 6th, 1898, to the wife of John Nicholas, a son.

Born: In Black Hawk, August 15th, 1898, to the wife of John Lind, a son.

Born: In Central City, August 16th, 1898, to the wife go R.W. Litchenheld, a daughter.

Born: In Central City, August 11th, 1898, to the wife of Charles E. Phillips, a daughter.

Married: At Perigo, August 17th, 1898, Rev. Father Raber officiating, Mr. Samuel Snyder of Central City to Miss Lizzie Reilly, of Perigo.

Died: In Russel Gulch, August 14th, 1898, son of Mr. and Mrs. George Grimsley, aged 10 months.

Died: In Central City, August 17th, 1898, Mrs. Sarah Gordon, aged 42 years.

Died: IN Central City, August 18th, 1898, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Fred Stevens, aged 2 months.

151 years ago – August 1868

Grasshoppers flew over the mountains in immense clouds on Sunday, and many came down on the ground.

Upon his return from his noon day hash, the editor found on his desk a fine basket of potatoes, and a bundle of oats, wheat, and Timothy grass standing five feet high, the product of Joe Harper’s ranch only two miles from the office.

We had another of those fearful floods yesterday, which by their frequency of late, are no longer regarded as uncommon or out of place. This time Gregory Street was the chief sufferer. The water gathered from every mountain side into all the gulches and uniting in a torrent, left its channel and flooded the streets, tearing gutters wide and deep enough for a river in the wagon way. At Black Hawk, the channel did not afford room enough to carry off the water. We should like to know if it ain’t about time to quit and if it would not do as well to have the rest of the rain some other time.

The road is in horrible condition between Missouri City and the head of Virginia Canyon, so that it is dangerous for the coach to pass over it. Should it be upset on this account, injuring the passengers, the county will doubtless be sued for the damage by Wells Fargo Co. A few dollars expended in repairs may save as many hundred dollars in damages. Will not the county commissioners attend to it?

A drunken scoundrel named Sullivan yesterday attacked Albert Teats, high up on Spring Street. He threw him over a bank, and beat him on the head with a stone, cutting him severely, but was finally driven off by Major Sayre, when the boy came down to town and secured the services of an officer who went back and arrested him. He pleaded guilty and was fined twenty dollars and costs. Had the Justice known the full circumstances, the fine would have been to the full extent of the law. It is reported that a man named Davis was in company with Sullivan.

Warning: json_decode() expects parameter 1 to be string, object given in /home/customer/www/ on line 66
11 recommended
bookmark icon

Write a comment...