Turning Back the Pages

• Bookmarks: 83

30 years ago -November 11, 1988

If you have artistic ability, you might want to consider entering the contest announced by the City of Black Hawk for a design to be used on the uniform patches and patrol car of the Marshal’ Office. The city may even adopt the winning design as the official emblem ofBlack Hawk. The contest is open to everyone. There are no limits on age. Designs should be in black on a white background and either silver or gold may be used for accents. Nothing too complicated or busy should be submitted, said Black Hawk Marshal Margaret Bralish.Remember, the design will be used on the patches that are sewn onto uniform shirt sleeves, as well as on decals placed on the doors of the patrol car. The words “Marshal, City of Black Hawk, Colorado,” or “City Marshal, Black Hawk, Colorado,” must be included in the design. Contest entries may be dropped off at the Black Hawk Conoco Station between November 14 and November 28. Be sure to include your name, address, and phone number with your entry. There is no limit on the number of entries that may be submitted by an individual. The creator of the winning design will be awarded a bottle of champagne, dinner for two at Crook’s Palace (drinks and tip not included), and dessert at the Black Forest Inn. If the winning design is submitted by a minor, a cash prize will be awarded instead. The name of the winner, along with a picture of the winning design, will appear in the Register-Call.

Sierra Pines Grocery, a mid-Gilpin County business off of Highway 119, was burglarized sometime between 8:45 p.m. on November 7 and 7:00 a.m. on November 8. An estimated $800 to $1,000 worth of items were stolen. Entry into the business establishment was made through a window on the west side of the building, reported Gilpin County Sheriff’s Deputy Jon Payne. The incident was reported by Jeff Skidmore, one of the owners, on the morning of November 8. A number of items were taken including a 13-inch General Electric color television, two portable video VCRs, a Motorola AM-FM radio, and various food items such as soda pop and cigarettes. As of Wednesday, Wayne said that he is continuing to investigate the burglary. Two suspected vehicles were reportedly seen at the location. Anyone who may have information concerning the incident is urged to contact the Gilpin County Sheriff’s Department.

Died: Edgar A. Fain. Former Central City resident Edgar A. Fain succumbed August 19 to a long illness at a hospital in Henderson, Texas. He died at the age of 82. Born March 11, 1906 in Denton, Texas, Fain attends North Texas State College and the University of Colorado He lived in Central City from the late 1960s until 1980 and owned numerous mining properties in Gilpin County. Fain traveled extensively. He lived in Colorado, Texas, Mexico, Venezuela, India, Pakistan, France, Switzerland, England, Egypt, Libya, and Italy. He spoke nine languages fluently. A retired geophysicist, he was also an engineer and pilot. Fain belonged to the Masonic order, the Quiet Birdmen, a charter member of the Denver Petroleum Club, and the Gilpin County Historical Society. He was a lieutenant commander in the U.S. Navy during World War II and commanded a Pratt and Whitney aircraft engine company in Kansas City, Kansas. He is survived by his wife, Hazel, of Henderson, Texas. A memorial service was held in Henderson.

60 years ago – November 21, 1958

Central City Nuggets:

For the past eight weeks, the columns of the Register-Call have contained an abundance of political advertisements, plus the two page advertisement of the Delinquent Tax List. The Tax List ends with this publication, and next week and ensuing ones, the columns will again be filled with interesting news as heretofore. Thanks for your consideration.

The snow storm over the weekend left about six inches of the “beautiful” and thermometers hovered close to the zero mark. Roads were slippery and dangerous, and vicious language was used when trying to negotiate the steep streets which were as icy and slippery as a skating rink. However Old Sol finally appeared, and his warm rays soon melted the ice and snow and we are again happy.

Mr. and Mrs. Carl Skagerberg left Tuesday morning on a motor trip through Wisconsin and adjacent states, where they will spend a month visiting with relatives.

Died: Mrs. Emma Nicholls died last Thursday at the University of Colorado School of Medicine, in Denver, at the age of 68 years. She was born in Central City, and was the eldest of three daughters of Matilda and Wm. Bray. With her father and sister they traveled in England and Australia, where they attended school, later returning to Central City where she attended the grammar and high schools. She was married in 1913 to Arthur Nicholas, where she spent thirty eight years on the Nicholas ranch, at the top of Dory Hill, later moving to Idaho Springs. She was a member of Golden Queen Chapter, Eastern Star; the American Legion Auxiliary and Susannah Wesley Circle of the Methodist Church, all of this city, and the West End Circle, of Idaho Springs. She is survived by her husband, Arthur, a daughter, Lucille Ramstetter, of San Francisco, a son, Arthur of Idaho Springs, and one grandson. Funeral services were held Tuesday from the Methodist Church here, with interment in Bald Mountain Cemetery.

Black Hawk Gold Dust:

While sawing wood last week, Otto O. Bake accidentally had a thumb severed in the electric saw and the hand badly mangled. He is convalescing at Presbyterian Hospital.

After spending a month in New Mexico, Mr. and Mrs. Therman Leach returned to their home in Chase Gulch.

Mrs. Frank Fleiss, who has been in the Rocky Mountain Hospital for three weeks, is slowly improving.

The Ray-Ann Cafe has closed for the season, and the owners, Mr. and Mrs. Hendricks expect to leave for the east about December 1st.

Mayor George Ramstetter has filed application before the P.U.C., of Colorado, for a permit to operate a bus line between Central City and Denver. All conditions have been met, including the schedule and insurance, and it is expected the P.U.C. will approve his request. He has recently purchased a 1958 Volkswagen eight passenger bus, which will be in daily service if his application is granted. The Denver terminal for the bus return will be the Continental Railways Bus Travel Center, at 17th and Broadway, and the Central City terminal will be at Ramstetter’s Grocery. At present the departure time from Central City will be at 8:30 a.m., returning at 4:30 p.m. Citizens of Central City, Black Hawk, and along the route, extend profucious thanks to George for his efforts in obtaining permission to operate this bus line, and hope that he will be given a franchise to operate all buses coming to Central City every day of the year.

90 years ago – November 16, 1928

Messrs. Jess R. Clements and John Smith, the two men arrested by Sheriff Williams below Idaho Springs last week charged with holding up A. Pardi, of Russell Gulch, with a gun, had a hearing before District judge Samuel W. Jonson, last week, and were bound over for trial in the sum of $1,000 each to the next term of the district court. Later—Deputy Sheriff Cole, of Arapahoe county, and Pursell, chief of police in Englewood, came up to Central Tuesday, and had an interview with the above prisoners, which resulted in getting from them the names of Lloyd Comstock and Gregory Forgett, who were with them when their held up Mr. Pardi. The officers returned to Denver and arrested both men, and Sheriff Williams and his deputy, Thomas Mitchell, went down Wednesday morning, returning during the evening with the prisoners, who were lodged in the county jail. Forgett admitted that he was the one who held up Pardi with the gun, and when the party came through Russell Gulch, both men were taken before Pardi, who identified Forgett as the man with the gun. District court convenes again today, and the men who were brought up Wednesday may have a hearing, and it is possible all four of them may be brought to trial and even the punishment act goes with holding up a man with a gun, which is a penitentiary offense, although the amount of money secured in the robbery was less than $10.

The greatest satisfaction of living is not to create wealth and then retire to private life, but to keep worthy deeds making every minute of our life count. What a contrast there is between men who obtain riches, and then drop down on Main Street or Easy Street to spend the rest of their life doing no good and the man who is in love with his work, and keeps consistently at it until his services are halted by a Higher Command. For the past twenty years, John Phillip Sousa, noted band leader, has been reported as ready to retire, but every year he comes back again on his tours. Just an example of the joy of living! There is a demand today for more like him. In his 85th year he answers this question of retiring with, “When I do retire you will pick up your newspaper and say: “Oh, look! Sousa’s dead!”

Died: In Black Hawk, November 9th, 1928, Irene Josephine, infant daughter of Mr. and Mrs. George Plankel, aged 3 months. The remains were taken to Mount Olivet Cemetery for burial on Monday.

120 years ago – November 18, 1898

Mr. W. J. Lamont was laid up for a couple of days during the week on account of having his foot in the way of an iron column which he was helping to load in a wagon.

John and Ed. O’Meara returned to Black Hawk on Monday last, after seeing about four months service with the Chaffee Light Battery at Fort Hancock, New Jersey.

Mr. and Mrs. R.C. Benighted of Spruce Street celebrated the twelfth anniversary of their wedding on Tuesday evening, by entertaining a number of their friends in the I.O.O. Hall, in this city.

Mr. Ole Rian, while at work in the Gregory Incline in Black Hawk, had his left foot cut and a toe broken by a rock which fell as he was dumping a bucket of ore.

Steve Hoskin, Superintendent of the Pierce Mine in this city, deposited a gold retort weighing 87 ounces at the Rocky Mountain Bank the first of the week, the result of a cleanup from the Hidden Treasure Mill. The mill ore is returning 3 ounces gold to the cord, and the smelting ore from 2.5 to 6 ounces gold to the ton. In the 200 foot level four men are breaking 5 cords of mill ore daily, or a little over 10 tons each day to each miner.

Mitchell and Roy, operating the East Nottaway Mine, in Lake District, shipped several loads of mill ore during the week, and Cindy and Associates, lessees on the west side of the shaft, shipped a couple of tons of fine looking smelting ore. The former are stripping some nice looking iron in the 130 foot level, and also in the 190 foot level, where they have just intersected the ore body.

The announcement last week that a son had arrived at the home of Thomas Beattie, of Black Hawk, was a mistake, as it proved to be a daughter.

Born: In Central City, November 13th, 1898, to the wife of William G. Martin, a daughter.

Died: In Black Hawk, November 13th, 1898, of miner’s consumption, Daniel Carlson, aged 52 years.

Died: In Central City, November 17th, 1898, wife of Jacob N. Brotherson, aged 36 years.

Died: In Lake Gulch, November 17th, 1898, son of Mr. and Mrs. Anton Bonatti, aged 9 months.

151 years ago – November 29, 1868

Saturday’s Register said: “No eastern mail last night. What on Earth’s the matter? It can’t be snow it must be Indians. Track torn up for miles, cars smashed, passengers butchered and scalped, and baggage plundered. Just because we are not a state.”

A man named William Baldwin had disappeared. He drove the Jones Express wagon, and it was feared that he had been foully dealt with as he carried considerable money with him. He later turned up in Denver okay.

Professor Hill, of the Boston & Colorado Smelting Works in Black Hawk, let a contract with Mullen & Joplin for the construction of a second series of calcining furnaces, or larger capacity than those now in operation.

Guy M. Hulitt, a well-known citizen, and Receiver of the U.S. Land Office in this city, committed suicide in his office by shooting himself in the head, on Saturday afternoon. An early love affair was supposed to have been the cause for the rash act.

A Republican convention was called for Saturday evening for the purpose of electing delegates to a Republican convention to be held in Denver, November 30, to take in consideration the question of the admission of this territory as a state. The call was signed by J.W. Ratliff, Lewis C. Rockwell, and J. Wellington Nesmith.

Warning: json_decode() expects parameter 1 to be string, object given in /home/customer/www/ on line 66
8 recommended
bookmark icon

Write a comment...